Tenancy Deposit DisputesHome > Services > Housing & Property >
If you paid a deposit to your landlord, they must register your deposit with a tenancy deposit protection scheme and give you written notice. Other you could claim up to 4 times the value of your deposit in compensation, going back up to 6 years. Call us on 01925 351 350 to get started on a no win no fee basis.
My Landlord Didn’t Protect My Deposit
Your landlord has a duty to register your deposit with a deposit protection scheme (DPS) in order to protect it. If your landlord hasn’t protected your tenancy deposit correctly, you could claim it back.
The DPS would act as a sort of insurance in case you have breached your tenancy agreement. However, you may be able to claim against your landlord if:
- Your landlord did not register your deposit with a DPS
- The deposit was not protected within 30 days of receipt
- You were not informed your deposit was protected (served with prescribed documents) within 30 days of receipt
- Landlord insisted on a guarantor, but did not serve the guarantor with the prescribed documents
Please check if your landlord has protected your deposit – many landlords will state in your contract that they will, but then neglect to do so.
If any of these situations apply to you, use the calculator below to get a guide on how much compensation you could claim.
Your Deposit Claim Could Be Worth £10,000 Or More
You are entitled to claim compensation for every time your landlord has failed to protect your deposit.
- If you signed a new tenancy at the same property and you deposit is still not protected, this is a new breach.
- Did you stay in the property after your 6-12 month initial term? That counts as a new tenancy, so you could claim again.
- Has this ever happened to you at a previous property? Your right to claim lasts for up to 6 years, even if you’ve left the property.
- Has your landlord deducted any money from your deposit? If it wasn’t protected, they are not entitled to, so you can claim a full refund of your deposit.
Our expert tenant solicitors can help you claim against your landlord and get your deposit back. So, call us on 01925 351 350 to get started.
Speak To An Expert Now
Call us now to speak to an expert about your case.
Get a FREE initial assessment to see how we can help you.
Get Help with a Tenancy Deposit Dispute
We specialise in landlord and tenant disputes, from deposit disputes and evictions to housing disrepair. And, we can cover the whole country as we often work remotely for our clients. On top of that, we can offer:
- Up to 15 minutes initial advice, free of charge
- We can usually work on No Win No Fee
- Friendly, expert staff ready to help you
So, if you think you’re entitled to make a claim because your landlord hasn’t protected or returned your deposit, get in touch. We can help you assess your situation and advise you on the best course of action. Our aim is always to get the best outcome for you, so please call us on 01925 351 350 to get started.