Speeding Tickets & Fines

How Chris Rudd Solicitors Can Help With Speeding Tickets

Request A FREE Callback

Fill out the form below so we can get in touch for up to 15 minutes free advice about a speeding ticket.

Sidebar Callback Request - Speeding
speeding offence solicitors

Want To Chat?

If you believe you’re entitled to make a claim, let’s talk.

Want To Chat?

If you believe you’re entitled to make a claim, let’s talk.

Speeding ticket solicitorsOver 2 million speeding tickets were given out last year. So, it’s no wonder they’re the most common motoring offence in the UK.

If you receive a conviction from a speeding ticket, you will likely end up with points on your license. That could lead to a totting up ban, which could cost you your job.

If You Get Caught Speeding

If you are caught speeding, the minimum penalty is a £100 fine and 3 points added to your license. Although, in certain circumstances the police may agree that you go on a speed awareness course. It may have been a police patrol or static camera that caught you speeding. Keep reading to find out about each of these, and what you should do about it.

Speed Cameras

You might have been caught speeding by a speed camera. If so, the courts will send you the following two things in the post within 14 days:

  • A Notice of Intended Prosecution (‘NIP’)
  • Section 172 notice

The NIP will state that you have been caught speeding and that legal action is being taken to deal with that offence. But the Section 172 notice is different. This requires you to identify who was driving the car at the time of the offence. You must make sure this is returned within 28 days. Once you’ve done this, you’ll get something called a Fixed Penalty Notice which is discussed further below.

Stopped by Police

If a police patrol stopped you because they caught you speeding, they may:

  • Give you a verbal warning
  • Give you a Fixed Penalty Notice
  • Tell you that you will be sent a Fixed Penalty Notice
  • Order you to go to court, where details of what you should do will be sent to you

You might be stopped by police for other motoring offences as well at the same time so it is important to be absolutely sure of exactly what you have been charged with.

Fixed Penalty Notice

A fixed penalty notice (FPN) is a document which starts the prosecution against you for certain motoring offences. This procedure is usually used for lower grade offences. And, if you admit to the offence, the procedure is intended to avoid the expense and inconvenience of having to go to court.

There are two types of fixed penalty notices: endorsable and non-endorsable. An endorsable ticket means you will receive points on your license (usually three points) and a £100 fine. If a ticket is non-endorsable, it is a fine only.

There are lists of speeding and other motoring offences that are grouped by types of FPN you will receive. But, these can be complex, so we can help you to understand the differences.

What Happens Next?

Once you have your FPN, your case will proceed with a guilty or not guilty plea. Your plea will determine whether you go to court or not. Contesting the fine or pleading not guilty will mean you go to court.

For more details about this process, or how you can contest a fine, please get in touch.

New Drivers

If you only recently passed your test (in the past 2 years) you may not face the minimum penalty as described above.

Instead, if you have gained 6 or more penalty points, you may have your driving license revoked.

Get Help With Speeding Tickets

We understand it can be daunting and confusing if you have not faced something like this before. So, we’re here to help.

If you want clarification on what the documents you’ve received mean, and what you need to do, we can talk you through that. Or if you intend to contest your speeding ticket, we can help you through that process as well.

We will advise you on the best course of action at every stage and help you through it until the end. And, we will always try to get the best possible outcome for you.

Chris Rudd Solicitors is here to help you. So, if you want to discuss your situation, please get in touch. You can call us on 01925 351 350. Or, email us at [email protected]. Our friendly staff can offer 15 minutes free, no obligation initial advice. And, we will let you know if we can help you.

Call Us For A Free Initial Chat

The first 15 minutes of our advice is completely free and we often operate on a no win no fee basis. So call now to find out how we can help you.