Co-Ownership Disputes

Your home will likely be one of the most valuable assets you will ever own. But, if your property is jointly owned, you may have trouble with another owner when you want to sell your share. Call us on 01925 351 350 to find out how we can help.

Joint Ownership of Property

There are a couple of ways for multiple people to own the one property. Most often, that co-ownership is in the form of a joint tenancy or as tenants in common.

Joint tenants are not regarded as having shares in the land. Rather, they collectively own the whole estate. They are not separate owners, but an inseparable group owner.

Tenants in common, on the other hand, is where everyone owns a separate share of the property

Co-ownership could also come about from different circumstances, such as:

  • Through contribution to the purchase price or investment
  • After a divorce, or after a breakup by unmarried partners
  • Through inheritance after someone has died

A dispute may arise when co-owners don’t agree on what to do with a property.

If there is a dispute about who owns a property, you can make a TOLATA claim to request the Court resolve the disputed issues.

For example, you may be able to make a TOLATA claim to get a court order for forcing a property sale when another owner isn’t cooperating. This is something we specialise in.

Dispute about forcing sale of jointly owned property

Forcing a Sale

Joint owners may not always agree to selling a property, but you still have a right to your share of the property.

So, if you want access to your share, we could help you negotiate a buyout or sell your share on to a new owner.

Or, if there is a dispute about who owns a property or a dispute that’s stopping a sale, we can help you make a TOLATA claim and get a court order for sale.

In any case, if you need help with a co-ownership dispute or forcing a sale, please give us a call on 01925 351 350.

Call Chris Rudd Solicitors

Speak to an Expert

Give us a call now to find out how we can help you.

Get in Touch

Please get in touch with us to get started with a free initial assessment for forcing a house sale or other co-ownership disputes.

We always aim to settle quickly with the best result possible for you. And, we can offer several funding options to suit you:

  • A privately funded basis
  • A no win no fee or no win low fee arrangement
  • With a DBA (damages-based agreement)

Plus, we’re based in the North, so our fees are typically lower than in other areas of the country.

To find out more about starting a claim, which of these funding options would best suit you, or if you have any other questions, please get in touch. Call us on 01925 351 350.

Lower Rates In The North

Because we're based in the North, the rates we charge tend to be lower in the South, but we still deliver exceptional service across the country.


Send Us A Message

Data Consent