Can I Make A Claim For Japanese Knotweed?

Part of the Can I Make A Claim For...? series
July 1, 2019

Japanese Knotweed is the most widespread form of knotweed. It is a fast growing, invasive plant which can seriously damage your property. It’s often dormant in Winter, but throughout Summer it can grow aggressively. It can be so persistent, in fact, that is can undermine concrete foundations If not completely eradicated it will always grow back. On top of that, it can greatly affect your property’s value.

What Can I Claim For

Landowners are responsible for preventing avoidable damage to neighbouring properties. If a landowner fails to treat Japanese Knotweed on their property, they could be liable for any harm or loss this causes you.

Often, a Japanese knotweed problem can arise when your home borders larger commercial land such as railway embankments or factories or abandoned land. Where there are large tracts of poorly managed land neighbouring your property, Japanese Knotweed can grow and spread aggressively.

In these cases, there are three main things you can claim for:

  1. Remove the Japanese Knotweed infestation
  2. Repair damage caused to your property
  3. Compensation for lost market value, as well as the cost of removing the Japanese Knotweed

In addition, if you prove that your neighbour is responsible they can be made to pay for insurance which will, in effect, cover you in case the harmful plant returns in the future.

call now japanese knotweed

Still Have Questions

While this has been a brief overview of whether you can make a claim over Japanese Knotweed, we understand you may still have questions.

So, if there is anything else you would like to ask, feel free to call us for up to 15 minutes free advice on 01925 351 350. Or, send us an email from our contact page.

Send Us A Message

Main Contact Form
Checkboxes *