Can I Make A Claim For Housing Disrepair?

Part of the Can I Make A Claim For...? series
June 17, 2019

When you rent a home to live in, you become a tenant. And as tenant, the law requires that your landlord meet certain responsibilities. They include the state of repair of your home. As such, housing disrepair is when your landlord does not keep your home in a reasonable state of repair.

But, it can sometimes be unclear what sort of defects your landlord is responsible to repair.

What Disrepair Can I Claim For?

There are several problems that can be covered by housing disrepair claims. For more details, you can read our article on Your Rights as A Tenant. Much will depend on your tenancy agreement, but for most tenancy agreements the law will insist that your Landlord should repair certain defects. Here is an overview of what those defects are.

Building structure – your home should be a structurally sound property. That means your landlord should take care of a leaking roof, ill-fitting/defective windows and doors, leaked or blocked gutters, subsidence, and unsafe floors, stairs, or stair rails.

Plumbing & utilities – your landlord should repair any defective utility installations in your home. They include your electrical supply, water supply, and gas supply. They should also take care of any plumbing problems such as leaking sinks or faulty showers.

Damp problems – damp is a common problem in British houses and can come in a few different types. It could be rising damp, penetrating damp, and damp due to leaks or flooding. There could also be condensation damp, however that is often not covered. Read more about that in the next section.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) – a Carbon Monoxide leak may cause serious illness or even death. While disrepair might cause a leak, if a CO leak has made you ill you should also consider a personal injury claim against your landlord.

call now for help with a housing disrepair claim

What Can’t I Claim For?

Unfortunately, certain types of repair are not covered by the law. Those that are not covered, and that you cannot claim for, include:

  • Improvements to the property, such as upgrading a window to double glazing.
  • New kitchen or bathroom units.
  • Condensation damp when caused due to your (the tenant’s) own activities.
  • Worn out carpets or laminate floors.

However, there are some exceptions to when you might be able to claim for these things. For more information, get in touch.

Still Have Questions?

While this has been a brief overview of whether you can make a housing disrepair claim, we understand you may still have questions.

So, if there is anything else you would like to ask, feel free to call us for up to 15 minutes free advice on 01925 351 350. Or, send us an email from our contact page.

Send Us A Message

Main Contact Form
Checkboxes *